Directors / Executive
The Phumelela Board has a unitary Board structure. In accordance with the recommendations of the Code of Corporate Practices and Conduct, the majority of the members of the Phumelela Board, including the Chairman, are non-executive directors. To ensure a balance of power and authority, there is a clear division of responsibilities among the company's Directors. One third of the directors retire annually by rotation. The roles of Chairman and Chief Executive are separate and the Chairman has no executive responsibilities.
- Bernard Kantor (Chairman) Independent
- Cecil Khang "Siza" Khampepe BA, MBA(UK) Independent
- Dr Elijah Nkosi MB ChB, MAP, MBA Independent
- Fikile Magubane BA(Economics & Accounting) Independent
- John Barry Walters Independent
- Col. Johnny Sexwale Dip Journalism Independent
- Mark Currie BCom(Hons), CTA, CA(SA)
- Moses Tembe BPA, BS Lead Independent Director
- Nolwandle Mboweni BA Ed, MAP Independent
- Photios Anastassopoulos Independent
- S'celo Mahlalela CA(SD), FCCA(UK) MBA - Finance Independent
- Steve Muller BAcc (Hons) CA(SA) Independent
Phumelela executive directors:
- John Stuart (Group Chief Executive Officer) BComm
Andreas Heide (Chief Operating Officer & Group Finance Director) BCompt Hons, CTA CA(SA)
- Barry McLoughlin (Chief Financial Officer)
- Clyde Basel (Executive, Racing)
- Colleen Goodman (Chief Executive Officer, Tellytrack; Heads, Tellytrack & Phumelela Publishing)
- Dean Finder (Chief Operating Officer, Betting World)
- Dean Sawarjith (Executive, International Operations)
- Derrick Attfield (Group Chief Information Officer)
- Freda Moloi (Company Secretary)
- Ike Shirindi (General Manager, Human Resources)
- Nathan Fowler (Executive, Retail)
- Rob Scott (Executive, Sports Betting)
Appointed 2010 and as Group CEO in 2018
John served his articles with KPMG before joining TAB KwaZulu-Natal in 1979 as Internal Auditor and occupied various positions there before leaving in 1996 as Assistant General Manager. He then joined TAB Transvaal (transferred to Phumelela as part of the corporatisation process) in 1997 and served in various positions before heading up the International division in 2006. He has over 39 years experience in the horseracing and gaming industry. He also headed up the publishing division as well as Tellytrack operation on behalf of the Tellytrack partnership.
John is a non-executive director of Automatic Systems Limited, one of the two totalisator operators in Mauritius, International Executive Director of Phumelela and Executive Director of Premier Gateway International.
John was appointed Group CEO of Phumelela on 18 September 2018 following the resignation of Rian du Plessis who held the position for the past ten years.
Andreas served articles with PricewaterhouseCoopers in Johannesburg and qualified as a chartered accountant in 1996. He has held various senior financial positions over the past 22 years within the horseracing industry and played key roles in the corporatisation and listing of Phumelela on the JSE in 2002. Andreas was appointed Group Finance Director in September 2009 and as Chief Operating Officer in April 2010.