Directors / Executive
The Phumelela Board has a unitary Board structure. In accordance with the recommendations of the Code of Corporate Practices and Conduct, the majority of the members of the Phumelela Board, including the Chairman, are non-executive directors. To ensure a balance of power and authority, there is a clear division of responsibilities among the company's Directors. One third of the directors retire annually by rotation. The roles of Chairman and Chief Executive are separate and the Chairman has no executive responsibilities.
- Bernard Kantor (Chairman) Independent
- Rob Cooper CA(SA) Independent
- Chris van Niekerk Independent
- Dr Elijah Nkosi MB ChB, MAP, MBA Independent
- Siza Khampepe BA, MBA(UK) Independent
- Steve Muller BAcc (Hons) CA(SA) Independent
- John Barry Walters Independent
- Nolwandle Mboweni BA Ed, MAP Independent
- Photios Anastassopoulos Independent
- S'celo Mahlalela CA(SD), FCCA(UK) MBA - Finance Independent
- Fikile Magubane BA(Economics & Accounting) Independent
- Moses Tembe BPA, BS Lead Independent Director
Phumelela executive directors:
- John Stuart (Group Chief Executive Officer) BComm
Andreas Heide (Chief Operating Officer & Group Finance Director) BCompt Hons, CTA CA(SA)
Vee Moodley (Executive Director, Sports Betting) BComm
- Barry McLoughlin (Chief Financial Officer)
- Clyde Basel (Executive, Racing)
- Dean Finder (Chief Operating Officer, Betting World)
- Dean Sawarjith (Executive, International Operations)
- Derrick Attfield (Group Chief Information Officer)
- Freda Moloi (Company Secretary)
- Ike Shirindi (General Manager, Human Resources)
- Nathan Fowler (Executive, Retail)
- Rob Scott (Chief Executive Officer, Tellytrack; Executive, Sales & Marketing)
Appointed 2010 and as Group CEO in 2018
John served his articles with KPMG before joining TAB KwaZulu-Natal in 1979 as Internal Auditor and occupied various positions there before leaving in 1996 as Assistant General Manager. He then joined TAB Transvaal (transferred to Phumelela as part of the corporatisation process) in 1997 and served in various positions before heading up the International division in 2006. He has over 39 years experience in the horseracing and gaming industry. He also headed up the publishing division as well as Tellytrack operation on behalf of the Tellytrack partnership.
John is a non-executive director of Automatic Systems Limited, one of the two totalisator operators in Mauritius, International Executive Director of Phumelela and Executive Director of Premier Gateway International.
John was appointed Group CEO of Phumelela on 18 September 2018 following the resignation of Rian du Plessis who held the position for the past ten years.
Andreas served articles with PricewaterhouseCoopers in Johannesburg and qualified as a chartered accountant in 1996. He has held various senior financial positions over the past 22 years within the horseracing industry and played key roles in the corporatisation and listing of Phumelela on the JSE in 2002. Andreas was appointed Group Finance Director in September 2009 and as Chief Operating Officer in April 2010.
Vee studied for a BComm Accounting degree at the University of Natal and worked as Group Accountant for the PMC Group of Companies in KwaZulu-Natal.
In 2003 Vee opted for a career path change and joined the National Horseracing Authority as handicapper.
His thorough knowledge and understanding of horseracing stood him in good stead and in 2007 he was promoted to Racing Control Manager and Chief Executive Officer designate of the National Horseracing Authority.
Vee has a strong financial background and excellent knowledge of horseracing and betting and was appointed by Phumelela as Sports Betting Executive on 1 July 2010 and as Executive Director: Sports Betting on 1 October 2010.
Vee was also appointed CEO of Betting World, a subsidiary of Phumelela, on 1 June 2015.